Sunday, March 15, 2009

க‌ரிக்கோல்

Pencil plays an important role in any common man’s life.

Generally in our office meeting rooms, pencils and spare note pads will be available for immediate use. I don’t know why they are keeping pencil and not pens? Around everyone’s table you can find one or 2 pencils lying apart from pen in the pocket.

I started using pencil when I joined 3rd standard (used only Slate and ப‌ல‌ப்ப‌ம் in class I & 2) and continued it for full time usage till class 5. Only in class 6, I started using a pen. It was a long time wish to switch over from pencil. It was told that during early days, one has to use only pencil to write to have good & nice hand writing (Is my handwriting is good ?). Based on this practice only anyone can improve their writing style using pen.

There were hard time, I faced, to sharpen my pencil. I don’t know to use a blade and totally depended on my parent to get it done. In those days sharpeners were not available and it came to normal people’s hand only when I was studying 8th or 9th.

Many times the lead of the pencil will break and we used to have spare pencils to tackle such situations. As a small boy I lost many pencil and because of this, I used to get only half pencil to take it to school.

During examination time, I asked my parent to sharpen my pencil on both sides so that I will have double standby !!

If the pencil becomes too short to hold, we will not leave it and will be used in Geometry box. If we found difficult to fix this small pencil, a paper role will be made and pencil will be inserted from one side and this paper role will be used as dummy extension of pencil. What a creative ideas we had at that time itself !!

Initially we were using only 2 colours other than black pencil. They were Red and Blue. I remember a big single pencil having one side red lead and other side Blue lead was given to me to colour. Later-on more colour pencils were introduced (cryon etc). Now-a-days if you purchase a box of pencil, you will get one sharpener and one eraser free !!

We used to engrave our initial on the side of the pencil using a blade as a safety measure.

Taste of pencil will be liked by many students and always they will taste the back side of the pencil.

My senior school friends told me to experiment to make “Rubber” out of woods that come out at the time of sharpening. Simple method -- Boil water with this wood, add a little milk, cool it for a day to get good quality of rubber !! I sincerely tried but …?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

பென்சிலைப் பற்றி உன் நினைவுகளை நன்றாக எழுதி இருக்கிறாய்.

சாவித்திரி அத்தையின் பின்குறிப்பு :: பென்சில் சின்னதாக ஆகிவிட்டால், உபயோகமில்லாத ஒரு (இன்க்) பேனா மூடியில், இந்த பென்சிலை சொருகி (தேவையானால் பேப்பர் சுற்றி) உபயோகிப்போம்

ராஜப்பா
16-03-2009

Vasudevan Sundaresan said...

”அந்த நாள் ஞாபகம் நெஞ்சிலே வந்ததே அண்ணனே, அண்ணனே”

”ஞாபகம் வருதே, ஞாபகம் வருதே, ப்ளேடில் சீவிய பென்சில், பல்லில் கடித்த பென்சில்,பேனா மூடியில் வைத்து எழுதிய பென்சில்”

நன்றிகள் பல...

Anonymous said...

Very interesting and I went back to my good old days of using pencil.

Obviously, one has to agree to agree on many points what you said and agree to disagree on very few points.

My specific comments:

I am not sure that hand writing will improve by writing with pencil. But, as a child, I normally give too much force to the writing tool. This force reduces by practice and long term learning. Thus, it was a transformation from balappam to Pencil to Pen…nowadays it is Pencil to Gel pen to Ball pen

I am pretty sure that all of us were pretty innovative when we were children. As we grow we tend to lose our creativity and form opinion based on our past success and failure.

You must have used a pencil with eraser attached which would have made the paper black rather than making it clean.

All said and commented…Vasu, it was a great writing by you, very focused. I request you to write about Pen also. This topic, many has already covered, nevertheless, I would like to see one from your desk.

SUDHAKAR 25 March 2009

Bhushavali said...

Hi Srini,
Sweet remembrances...
Just came across your blog and liked it... :)
Do visit my blog too...
My Travelogue, Thozhi-Mitr-Friend